Monday, August 29, 2011

Homemade Moon Sand (that evil stuff)

I will admit it.  I have a love/hate relationship with Moon Sand.  The first time we used it, it just wouldn't go away.  I swept it, hosed it off, and nothing.  Uggg!  On the other hand, my kids go crazy for it.  It is really fun to play with, I do agree.  When I found this recipe for homemade moon sand, I gave in and tried. it.  Boy, am I happy I did.  It came out nice and pliable and the kids are uber happy to have it again.  It isn't hard at all to clean up and is much cheaper than the store bought type.  If it starts to dry out, (and it will) just add some more water!
All it takes is 4 cups sand, 2 cups cornstarch and 1 cup water. 
Congratulation, you just made moon sand.




Pin It

5 comments:

Laura said...

I need to try that. Very fun!

Deborah Stewart said...

Thank you for the recipe and the recommendation. I will try making that with my class.

Andrea said...

Excellent!! I have wanted to add different textures onto my play dough for my 0-2's. This will be a nice extra!!

Sara Hickman designs said...

We use a lot of colored sand for our In School Field Trips. You can do this by putting your sand in a gallon size bag add about 10 to 20 drops of food coloring, seal the bag and shake until all colored. Then use it to make the moon sand.

www.touchofhomelearning.com

Darcey said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Moon sand can be way too messy, but great at the same time. I feel the same way about slime. It's a good sensory experience for the kids, but such a pain to clean up. I've linked up to your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/09/weekly-favorites-for-september-4-2011.html Hope you're having a great weekend!